Saturday, September 15, 2012

Clark Kent is my Kryptonite

So, it's Otherworld Saturday, and looking through my bank of fandoms, I think I’ll start with my oldest, since it’s about to have a fresh reboot. 

Henry Cavill- The new Clark Kent
I have loved Henry Cavill since I watched a sneak preview of The Tudors premiere.  I remember saying out loud, “Who’s the hot one?” after his first scene.  On The Tudors, that’s saying something.  He was just so good looking as Duke Brandon.  He was a pretty good actor, too.  I loved him throughout all the years of the Showtime series.  A few years into the series I remember seeing a Vogue magazine with a three page spread on the actor saying he was about to be the next big thing, and I knew then that they must have good taste.

It’s fairly well known that my classic love is Clark Kent.  I grew up in love with Christopher Reeve, and in elementary school I was seriously planning to marry Dean Cain.  Imagine my overwhelming joy when it was announced that the last son of Krypton would be portrayed by newcomer Henry Cavill in the Man of Steel film.  It was like someone was inside my head!

Now, I am reserving judgment on his perfection in the part.  He is a British actor playing Superman, the upholder of Truth, Justice, and the American way.  He doesn’t have a lot of screen experience, and… who am I kidding?  Those eyes, that smile- I am totally sold.  Provided he isn’t HORRIBLE I will totally adore him. 


The film itself is directed by Zack Snyder (Watchmen, 300) and written by Christopher Nolan of Batman fame.  I hope that they each know what they are doing with their hands on the Superman franchise.  The Batman reboot was amazing.  Superman is very different, though.  Superman is a light in the darkness, not a shadowy avenger in the night.  It’s not dark and twisty all the time, and it’s not supposed to be.  It can have serious moments, of course, but the light has to balance.  I watched The Man of Steel trailer, and I don't know.  It could be all wrong, or it could be the best thing I've ever seen. I'm very much reserving my opinion while hoping for the best. 





And so much of a Superman movie/series success in my mind depends on Lois Lane.  Lois is a huge part of Clark’s story, and I have to have as much faith in her as I do in Superman.  I need to believe in her as a real, strong, and independent character who inspires and supports Superman.  I could talk on this subject for a while, and I’m sure I will at some point.  For now, I’ll leave it and just say that I am hopeful that Amy Adams will rock a sassy and spirited Lois Lane to Henry Cavill’s mild mannered reporter.

Amy Adams- The new Lois



Stay Shiny!
Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment