Sunday, September 9, 2012

J's possible new fandoms

Finding new things to watch doesn't usually last very long with me - I either find something and watch it as quickly as possible or I try something and decide I don't care enough to watch it anymore. I don't let it sit there tempting me - I have to know what happens!

Anyway, I have discovered some shows at the moment that I think will last for a little bit:

My new favorite characters?
We'll see...
Like Kristin stated, we recently watched the premiere miniseries of Battlestar Galactica. I wasn't sure it would be my thing, but seeing as sci-fi has become a bigger part of my viewing list, I decided it was worth a try. I have to say, I really enjoyed it - it actually reminded me a little bit of Star Wars. It was very intense and if the battle scenes had lasted any longer I don't think I would want to continue watching; I loved finding out the relationships between all the characters, they were very realistic and complicated and left me wanting to know more. I think this will be a show I continue to watch, but I am hoping that it will be a little lighter as I continue. 



At Dragon*Con I was able to attend a panel on web series and have used many of their suggestions to discover some awesome content. Web series are very different - they don't censure themselves (so the language and sexual commentary are usually not very subtle), they are much shorter (fulfilling my need to watch all of something quickly), and have a very different budget than TV shows. I think I have a different level of acceptance when I watch web shows - I might watch things that I wouldn't usually watch on TV. I tend to lean towards funny when I want something quick, so I watched Awkward Black Girl, so very amusing and unique and about exactly what the title implies, The Legend of Neil about a guy who accidentally ends up in the game The Legend of Zelda and must complete his quest, and Husbands, two gay men get drunk married in Vegas (keep watching through Season 2 - I liked it more than Season 1). I also discovered The Booth at the End, but have not continued watching it because it is apparently difficult for me to get into a longer web series. The Booth at the End is pretty awesome though; it was a very interesting concept, but it looks like it could take a while to reach a satisfying conclusion to any story line. Of course, I'm not going to mention any post on web series without linking to one of my personal favorites (really, the web series that made me want to watch web series (es? how do I make that plural- seri?)): The Guild - hilarious show about gamers that decide to become friends in real life (while you're there, check out Geek and Sundry - love them!) that I am now currently rewatching. 

I'll end by stating I'm excited about getting into some of the new shows that will be on TV this season - particularly Revolution. I'm hoping that I'll get hooked (like I did with Lost), but last time I thought that might happen (with Once Upon a Time), I seriously lost interest. I think I do much better with once a week light TV. Except if it's Doctor Who - I will always watch Doctor Who no matter what format it happens to be in! 

So many wonderful nerdy things have been happening in the last few weeks - we need to play catch up. So... Kris I'll leave it up to you - Dragon*Con review or Doctor Who Season 7 review.

DFTBA!
Jana


No comments:

Post a Comment